Travel Destinations: Taman Negara
For a holiday travel destination in the wilderness, Taman Negara is it. It is one of the Malaysia's main national parks and it dates back 130 million years; Taman Negara is one of the oldest tropical rainforest in the world. It is home to over 300 species of birds, 200 species of mammals such as the Sumatran Rhinoceros, Asian Elephants and Tapirs, and an estimated 10,000 species of plants.
Nothing beats a back to nature experience. Far and away from the hustle and bustle of city life. It certainly would restore your inner spiritual balance as you commune with the natural forest habitat and breath in all that cool refreshing, unpolluted rainforest air.
As for the uninitiated who just can't sit around doing the "restore your inner balance" kinda thingy, well there are plenty of activities to do besides breathing nice cool jungle air.
Some popular attractions includes the canopy walkway across a 530m suspension bridge hoisted 40m above the ground; but only if you don't have vertigo, the canopy walk is a must try! Canopy walk idea was actually initiated by FRIM to facilitate the study of fauna and flora on the upper parts of the rainforest trees, but somehow it became a tourist attraction as well and you can find many canopy walkways in our various Malaysian forest reserves Taman Negara included.
And of course what is a visit to rainforest without the usual outdoor adventure jungle trekking and mountain climbing activities? So carry a light backpack with all your goodies and tidbits and let's go for a hike up Bukit Teresek and bring along your torch and go exploring caves of various dimensions. There are of course many other trails that you can also go jungle trekking. And after sweating it out, cool off by having a swim in pools and rivers; perhaps even "shoot" the rapids for an exhilarating time!
Hmm perhaps the activities are too strenuous? Ok, back to basics about quiet time and go fishing. But frankly fishing is just too plain boring for me (please don't flame me dear fishing enthusiasts! Just my personal preference). Casting lines and reeling it in empty requires lots of patience, just not my kind of activity. Anyway, to each his own devices for keeping oneself happy!
For the more mundane, you could try bird or animal watching and plant spotting. This too may require some patience on your part, because most animals are very much wary of humans and you do have to remain pretty quiet and hope the wind is blowing in the right direction so as to avoid the animal catching your scent, becoming frighten and run away from you. Birds of course would be easier, but you probably need a pair of binoculars to have a good glimpse of them. And plant spotting? Well, this requires an expert guide to help you on your early beginning steps of becoming a rainforest botanist.
While some activities are suitable for novices, some will require special training or a guide, so do check with the staff of the Mutiara Resort.
Mutiara Taman Negara
Accommodation at Mutiara Taman Negara ranges from cozy timber bungalows and chalets to dormitories. Pitching your own tent at the camp site is another possible option.
Some idea about the accommodations provided by Mutiara Hotel Resort Taman Negara:
- Timber chalets and bungalows - Equipped with all the comforts of home, it's ideal for families as some of the units are fitted with a kitchenette. May as well bring your whole family clan here for one in a lifetime family reunion gathering, eh?
- Dormitories - Suitable for guests traveling as a group, the dormitory features double-bunk beds (with mosquito netting) in a spacious environment, ceiling fans, lockers and a common bath.
- Camping - For the more adventurous traveler who just can't seem to have enough of rainforest in their blood, Mutiara Hotel Resort have a campsite and camping equipment for rent. Be prepared for the little flying blood suckers though. Don't forget to bring along those mosquito repellants and mosquito coils and perhaps a pair of ear plugs for those pesky mosquitoes sure like to go buzzing around your ears!
- Trenggan Lodge - Located deeper in Taman Negara, this is a quiet retreat enveloped by nature. Perfect for seeking out your inner balance or just plain recharging your life "batteries". Although charmingly rustic, guests will still enjoy modern conveniences such as comfortably furnished chalets, a restaurant and a camping site with standard amenities.
For a convenient journey to Taman Negara, take a bus ride from Crowne Plaza Mutiara, Kuala Lumpur. Then go on a boat ride up Sungai Tembeling. The bus service operates daily at 8:45am.
Daily Shuttle service
8.45am - from Lower lobby Crowne Plaza Mutiara Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Tembeling.
12.30pm - from Kuala Tembeling to lower lobby Crowne Plaza Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
Priced at RM80 nett return and RM40 one-way.
Requires prior reservation.
10am - from Kuala Tahan to Kuala Tembeling.
1pm - from Kuala Tembeling to Kuala Tahan.
Priced at RM50 nett return and RM25 one-way.
Boat Shuttle services
9am & 2pm daily
(Friday: 9am & 2.30pm)
Priced at RM50 nett return and RM25 nett one-way.(Wooden Boat)
Transfer to Kuantan
11.30am from Kuala Tembeling Jetty.
Priced at RM500 nett per van, one-way.
If you are planning to travel to and from Cameron Highlands, there is a minivan service. Please refer to the Getting There Cameron Highlands page.
For more info about Mutiara Taman Negara, you can contact them at:
MUTIARA Taman Negara
Kuala Tahan, 27000 Jerantut, Pahang, Malaysia.
Tel: +609-266 3500
Fax: +609-266 1500
- Cameron Highlands Outdoor Adventure Jungle Trails
- Jungle Adventure Trekking Precautions
- Travel Destinations: The Mystic Mountains of Malaysia
- The Mysterious Case of Jim Thompson
- Gunung Brinchang, Cameron Highlands by car, a simple outdoor adventure travel destinations
- Camping Sites in Cameron Highlands
- Explore Kellie's Castle, a quick detour from Simpang Pulai on the way up to Cameron Highlands
- My Sabah Borneo Mission Trip
- Ascent the Mount Kinabalu in Sabah Borneo and have an outdoor adventure travel destinations of a lifetime!
Posted on 10-Aug-2006