The Bus Terminal Freesia at Tanah Rata
There is a new RM3.9 million Bus Terminal Freesia located in Tanah Rata, Cameron Highlands just recently opened to the public on the 29 December, 2005. The terminal was built not only as a bus terminal but has a taxi stand on the ground floor with offices and free car parking space on the upper floors.
New is good right? Not really, due to space constraint for the construction of the terminal, the ramps are steep and the bends are narrow and tight with hardly enough room to maneuver.
"Motorist must slow down when driving along the ramps at the new three-storey bus terminal building in Tanah Rata, Cameron Highlands." Adviced by Cameron Highlands district council secretary Mohd Pauzi Abu Hussaini, who did admit that the bends along the rams were quite narrow. But still commented that the design "was okay and no different from what you see at some hotels and buildings in Kuala Lumpur".
Really? Those buildings and hotels that had narrow ramps and tight bends I simply just avoid going in to park because they are such a hassle to attempt negotiating the tight bends. One has to be very careful and very patient to turn every corner, especially big cars and MPVs. They would have the toughest time rounding every bend. Evidence of car scraping against the wall could be seen at those places, and I'm sure the Terminal Freesia will have its fair share of "car graffiti" on its walls.
Already it seems that "a motorist scraped his Mercedes Benz against the wall while attempting to negotiate a bend," commented a local resident. And some resident consider the terminal a failure as both the buses and cars had difficulty using the terminal.
Despite all the shortcomings, two bus companies will be moving in the terminal. Maybe others will eventually move in too as the old bus stand is very old. Well time will tell whether the new terminal will be fully utilized.
Info source: The Star. Friday, 20 January, 2006.
Recently, I got a good sneak peak at this bus terminal. It is sad to say that the upper floors are totally abandon and unused. Since no one dares to drive up the narrow ramp, they have cordon off the entrance. I saw a sign which was suppose to lead to an office for tours, but the office was just not there. What a waste of resources from bad planning. Now this building just sits there looking pretty with nothing much to do. Though the ground is being utilized by some bus company, on the whole, the building is just a white elephant.
Perhaps they could convert the parking area into an extreme sport center or convert it into a sport complex? Well, we'll see how smart the authorities are or perhaps some enterprising entrepreneur might go do something about it.
- How to go Cameron Highlands
- Getting there by Coach/Buses
- Getting and moving around Cameron Highlands
- Cameron Highlands Map - a rough guide.
- Pahang state map, tourism Malaysia
- Bus station Terminal Freesia at Tanah Rata
- Driving tips to your travel destination
- Travel from Singapore to Cameron Highlands
- While passing by Simpang Pulai, how about a quick detour to Kellie's Castle?
- Idil's Light Hearted Cameron Highlands Trip Account
- From Cameron Highlands to Tasik Kenyir lake Terengganu. An outdoor adventure drive!
- Take a break from your long Cameron Highlands journey and stop by Bidor, Perak for a quick meal and white coffee break.
- Break the long journey to Cameron Highlands; guide to the North-South PLUS Expressway
- PLUS Rest Service Areas in Johor - Machap and Pagoh
- Guide to plan a 3 days / 2 nights travel itinerary
- Year 2011 Calendar Malaysia Holidays
- Year 2010 Calendar Malaysia Holidays for planning your trip to Cameron Highlands
- Year 2009 Calendar Malaysia Holidays for planning your trip to Cameron Highlands
- Year 2008 Calendar Malaysia Holidays for planning your trip to Cameron Highlands
- Avoid the crowd when planning your cuti-cuti trip to Cameron Highlands
- View the year 2007 calendar as a guide to plan for your vacation
- The troubles you might experience on a peak season - traffic jams and water shortage woes
- How about planning a day trip to Cameron Highlands?
Posted on 10-Feb-2006